Top Tips to Go Vegan Today
As a vegan, the conversation around veganism occurs in almost every encounter involving food, especially when dining with non-vegans. People are usually genuinely curious and immediately wonder if they can do it too.
Well, I believe everyone can go vegan. There are usually only a few things they need to tweak to get them there.
Concerns About Veganism
Here are a few concerns I hear regularly from people who are struggling with the idea of going vegan.
– I love my coffee creamer and my latte from Starbucks, I couldn’t give up milk.
– I love having eggs in the morning, I really need that protein.
– What about sushi night, I couldn’t give up fish.
– I’m afraid I won’t get enough protein being vegan and I can’t just eat beans.
– Is it really healthy to be vegan, what about calcium, protein, iron, B12, etc….
I’ve heard it all at this point and that’s ok because we are all learning. Guess what though, there are delicious options and easy alternatives to help you go vegan today and you can be healthy doing so!
How To Go Vegan
Here are my recommendations on how to go vegan today. So, let’s do it!
Replacing Your Coffee Creamer
Swap out your coffee dairy creamer ASAP. This one is super easy nowadays with the options that are available to us – it is just a simple case of trying!
There are so many plant milk alternatives, as well as coffee creamers, available in most coffee shops and stores near you. Try a soy or oat milk alternative to get a creamy smooth consistency that goes perfectly with your cup of caffeine gold.
Replacing Your Eggs
Instead of scrambled eggs, go with a tofu scramble recipe, or even easier try the brand JustEgg. Follow this fail-proof recipe for a delicious breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- Drain out water from 1 block of tofu
- Crumble with fork to get egg texture
- Saute 1 chopped garlic clove, ¼ cup chopped onions, ¼ cup chopped peppers, ½ cup chopped tomatoes in ¼ cup veg broth.
- Once the veggies are fragrant and lightly browned, then add the crumbled tofu.
- Next add spices such as ½ tsp turmeric, ½ tbsp cumin, ½ tbsp onion powder, 1 tsp paprika, 2 tbsp nutritional yeast, sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in ½ cup black beans for extra texture and protein.
- During the last couple minutes add kale, and then a little veg broth to moisten the mixture if it’s getting dry.
- Enjoy on corn tortillas or bed of greens, with avocado and salsa
Use leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day.
Replacing Your Fish-Based Sushi
Sushi dinner as a vegan?! Heck yes. Go to most any sushi restaurant and ask about their vegan options. I love fish-less dinners. My usual order is: seaweed salad, miso soup, edamame (very high in protein), and as many rolls as I can fit in my belly. Look for cucumber roll, avocado roll, and sometimes they’ll even make special rolls vegan for you as well. Don’t forget sake is vegan too 🙂
Replacing Your Protein Sources
Haven’t figured out how to be satisfied with beans, vegetables, and rice? I get it, it takes time to get used to the generally lighter fare. First make sure to eat enough to feel full and satisfied. Second, try a couple of plant-based meat alternatives. You can find them at all your major grocery stores.
Gardein meatless grounds are an easy go-to. Toss a cup or two in your chili, soups, tacos, casseroles, and more.
You can also add a creamy protein supplement to your day to ensure that your recommended protein amount is covered. My recent favorite is the vanilla flavor from Vedge Nutrition. You can add this to desserts, pancakes, smoothies and more to knock your grams up 20-30 grams higher.
Discover more amazing vegan protein sources here.
Replacing Your Supplements
Snag a vegan-friendly supplement. My go-to right now is Complement. It contains all the vitamins, minerals, nutrients, and omegas you are afraid to miss out on in your vegan diet.
To help us both get the goods, go to Love Complement and use my code JustFitVegan at checkout.
Thank you so much for reading my tips to go vegan today! I hope you find success in this journey and please reach out if you need any extra guidance.