Healthy Meals to eat Before a Workout (Vegan-Friendly!)
Healthy vegan meals before a workout can keep energy levels high, support muscle building and increase weight loss.
For all my fellow exercise lovers who deal with stomach problems and fatigue mid-workout this is important info so hear me out! Timing is essential so be sure to eat 1-2 hours before the workout to allow time for partial digestion. Try these pre-workout meals to amp-up your results and beat that mid-workout belly ache.
Vegan Meal Idea #1: perfect for breakfast
- 1/2 cup rolled oats or 1/4 cup steel cut oats, 1 medium banana, 1 tbsp ground flaxseed, and topped with cinnamon.
- 1 cup of coffee or green tea for a pre-workout boost
Vegan Meal Idea #2: can be a great lunch or dinner
- Rice or whole grain tortilla, 1/2 cup mashed pinto or black beans, vegetables of your choice, salsa or hot sauce
- Handful of grapes
Vegan Meal Idea #3 – More like a snack
***For on your own meal prep work, think about the following tips if you want to try to a build healthy pre-workout meal.
- Healthy fats are so important in your diet but go easy on them before a workout. They are slower to digest which could give you a little stomach ache mid-workout.
- Healthy carbohydrates are important to our energy stores before a workout. So be sure to include them in each pre-workout meal.
- Protein full of branch chain amino acids is essential to protect all of your hardworking muscles during your exercise but is even better to help rebuild after your workout. Ex. protein powder, tofu, edamame, beans, whole grains, spirulina.
- Water is also essential to keep in mind for your pre-workout, during, and post-workout routine. Try drinking half your body weight in ounces to stay hydrated enough during your workout.
- Caffeine is smart as long as you make the right choices. Choose plain and sugar-free options; preferably green tea or black coffee, which would benefit your energy levels without adding extra calories and stomach aggravations.
Please let me know if you have a question about this topic or anything else health and fitness related.